A culturally sustainable development brings together economic, social, and environmental dimensions and highlights the importance of growth, equity, and the value of culture. Recognising the role of culture as a facilitator and agent of change for sustainable development, the British Council announces that it accepts applications for the Circular Culture Programme 2023 selective process.
Circular Culture is an initiative of the British Council in Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Cuba, Trinidad and Tobago, Mexico, Peru, and Venezuela. It provides financial resources and training to promote artistic exchange between Latin American and the Caribbean (LATAC) countries and the United Kingdom through strengthening the offering of cultural festivals and promoting sustainable cultural development. Additionally, Circular Culture is committed to professionalising the LATAC cultural sector and offers a training scheme for festival managers with experts from the United Kingdom to integrate skills into development.
The Circular Culture Fund consists of a £300,000 (GBP) fund and is aimed at cultural and artistic festivals - both in-person and digital - taking place in the countries mentioned above and interested in collaborating, showcasing artwork, or engaging in training activities with British professionals, focused on activating a shift in attitudes, narratives, and practices related to a sustainable culture approach.
Circular Culture reinforces our commitment to promoting festivals by recognising their importance in the dynamics of cities and the promotion of contemporary artistic creation and the expansion of sustainable practices, always promoting:
- Exchange among local artists, creators, and managers
- Public access to international artists/creators/researchers/scientists
- Opportunities for training technical skills for sustainable development
- Development of knowledge networks
- Global cultural exchange
Thanks to the more than 1,000 festivals that applied to the Circular Culture 2023 programme!
Discover the festivals selected in the call. We are confident that your proposals will have a significant impact in promoting sustainable culture and strengthening cultural and artistic festivals alongside your UK partner.
|Video games and animation
|Filbita (Festival Internacional de Literatura Infantil)
|Festival Internacional de Cine de Mar del Plata
|Mar del Plata
|Futuro Imperfecto: arte, periodismo y tecnología
|No Ar Coquetel Molotov
|Brasil Eco Fashion Week
|Festival Estéreo Picnic
|Festival De Cine de Cartagena
|VOLTAJE (Salón de Arte y Tecnología)
|Eco Manigua: Encuentro de Infancia, Economía Circular y Arte
|Festival Fiesta del Tambor
|Feria Internacional Libro Guadalajara
|AXE Ceremonia 2024
|Entre Lenchas, Vestidas y Musculocas
|Festival Artístico Audiovisual Afrodescendencias
|Festival Internacional de Santa Lucía
|Festival Internacional de Cine AL ESTE
|Lima, Arequipa, Trujillo, Cusco
|1° Festival "Mar, Conciencia y Soundsystem"
|Trinidad y Tobago
|Port of Spain
|COCO Dance Festival
|Port of Spain
|Festival de Cine Venezolano
|England my England, los sonidos del reino.
|Photography and video
Requirements to be a beneficiary of the Circular Culture funds:
- The proposal must demonstrate a commitment to implementing sustainable practices that reduce the festival's environmental impact.
- A partnership with a United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales) counterpart is mandatory, and a letter of intent to collaborate from them should be included in the application. It is the responsibility of the festival applicant to establish contact and reach an agreement with the British partner. The British Council does not maintain a central artist directory, and festivals have the freedom to approach relevant artists or organizations.
- The British partner should actively contribute to the festival activities, such as performances, talks, workshops, etc. The involvement will depend on the nature of the intended activity within the festival.
- The proposed projects can be multidisciplinary, encompassing at least one of the disciplines mentioned in the call (visual arts, film, dance, architecture, design, fashion, literature, music, or theatre).
- Only individuals who can issue tax receipts and whose main activity is related to the cultural area of the main product presented in the proposal may participate in this call.
For more details, review the Terms and Conditions document, and the Frequently Asked Questions.
|July 12th to August 20th, 2023.
|Time to submit the proposal
|By 23:59 Mexico time on August 20th, 2023.
|August 30th, 2023.
|Time in which the festival must take place
|The festivals and their cultural proposals must take place in their entirety before June 30th, 2024.